Comdirect credit card
As with most direct banks, the comdirect credit card is only available in combination with a free current account. Why the card is not a good travel credit card – but still recommendable – we explain on this page.
- Advantages of the Comdirect credit card
- Disadvantages of the comdirect credit card
- For whom is the comdirect credit card worthwhile?
- Alternatives to the comdirect credit card
- Questions and answers (FAQ)
Advantages of the Comdirect credit card
The comdirect bank is one of the oldest and most successful direct banks in Germany – it was founded back in 1994 as a subsidiary of Commerzbank. However, since November 2020, it is only a brand of Commerzbank and no longer an independent bank.
Free credit card
One of the most important reasons for the success of comdirect bank is that the credit card and the current account have always been completely free. There is no minimum turnover or similar conditions, as a comdirect customer you actually pay no annual fee for the account + credit card.
Withdraw cash free of charge
As a comdirect customer, you can withdraw cash worldwide free of charge. However, it is a little more complicated than with other credit cards.
This is because cash withdrawals with the comdirect credit card are only free of charge in countries outside the eurozone. And because comdirect Bank charges a foreign currency fee of 1.75%, this is not really attractive.
The situation is better in Germany or other countries in the eurozone: here you can actually withdraw cash completely free of charge with your current card (not your credit card!) at all cash machines of the Cash Group.
Free current account
The biggest advantage of the comdirect credit card is the very good free current account.
Deposit cash free of charge
With most other direct banks, this is a problem: depositing cash. As a customer of comdirect bank, you can use the cash machines in Commerzbank branches free of charge.
When you pay something with your comdirect credit card, the amount is simply debited from your current account after a few days.
Disadvantages of the comdirect credit card
A clear disadvantage compared to other free credit cards is the fact that you can’t use the credit card to withdraw money for free at every ATM. The comdirect credit card is also not ideal for travelling, as fees apply when paying in foreign currencies.
For whom is the comdirect credit card worthwhile?
The comdirect credit card only really makes sense if you also want to use comdirect Bank’s (really very good) free current account. The credit card is then a useful addition to the account and is ideal for online shopping or for travelling within Germany or the eurozone.
Alternatives to the comdirect credit card
Depending on what you need a credit card for, there are some very good alternatives to the comdirect credit card.
- for travelling: if you want a free credit card, the Barclaycard Visa and the GenialCard from the Hanseatic Bank are our favourites. If you travel more often, however, we would advise you to get a premium credit card. With this you get many important insurances included and also have the possibility to collect points or miles. Some travel credit cards the also offer free lounge access at airports or free breakfast at some hotels.
- to withdraw cash for free:
- in combination with a current account: good alternatives to the free current account of comdirect Bank are.
If you are looking for a good free current account and only need a credit card from time to time, then the current account/credit card combination from comdirect Bank is exactly the right product for you.
Questions and answers (FAQ)
Alle Gebühren, Leistungen und Besonderheiten im Überblick:
|Gebühren im 1. Jahr||0,00 Euro|